Are You at the Crossroad with Microsoft Dynamics 365 Business Central?
With the launch of Microsoft Dynamics 365 Business Central last year, it’s become increasingly clear to resellers around the world that the software giant’s support for Microsoft Dynamics GP will diminish. While no timetables have been disclosed, many resellers are feeling the less-than-subtle push from Microsoft to migrate their loyal customers away from GP and over to Business Central. And that’s putting them at a strategic crossroads.
But is Microsoft Dynamics 365 Business Central the best choice? As you contemplate the future – for you and your loyal customers – there are some important factors to consider.
A Better Answer for Your Customers
First and foremost, GP resellers are insisting on a migration path/solution that is best suited to their customers, most of whom have used GP for accounting for many years. Sage Intacct – built specifically for accounting and finance teams by finance experts – is a more natural transition for GP customers because of several key advantages:
- A Better Chart of Accounts – Microsoft Dynamics GP’s structured, segmented chart of accounts flows naturally into the structured dimensions of Sage Intacct’s general ledger. And with Sage Intacct’s dimensions, the natural chart of accounts will most likely shrink significantly.
- Contract and Subscription Billing – Sage Intacct pioneered new functionality that automates the underpinning of many modern business models – with full automated revenue recognition that meets ASC 606 standards.
- The Nuances – Sage Intacct includes the subtle features that help accountants get their jobs done faster. For instance, we offer statistical accounts (what GP calls unit accounts) to break down allocations and deliver improved reporting and analysis. By contrast, Business Central has no concept of unit accounts and can only offer rudimentary variable allocations.
- Easier Integration – Like Microsoft Dynamics GP, Sage Intacct offers a best-in-class approach to integration, so you can bring your GP integrations forward with you as part of your migration. Sage Intacct also has an extensive partner marketplace and an open API, so you’re never limited.
- A Commitment to Accounting and Finance – All Sage Intacct research and development (R&D) dollars are devoted solely to improving and refining the Sage Intacct solution. With Microsoft’s vast portfolio of products, the various business units are vying for R&D dollars.
The fact is, if you’re a GP expert and haven’t previously deployed Microsoft Dynamics NAV, the transition to Microsoft Dynamics 365 will likely be challenging. Microsoft Dynamics 365 requires far more customization than GP, so partner organizations will need extensive technical depth.
A Better Solution Than Microsoft Dynamics 365 Business Central
From a pure functionality perspective, Microsoft Dynamics GP resellers and customers may find that Sage Intacct offers a better solution with important advantages:
- Automatic Continuous Consolidations – With Sage Intacct, you can continuously consolidate across multiple entities – automatically – saving you countless hours during each closing period.
- Cross-Entity Allocations – While Microsoft Dynamics 365 Business Central requires manual allocations using clearing accounts and journal entries, in Sage Intacct, that’s all automated.
- Advanced Budgeting – Sage Intacct offers its own advanced, collaborative, integrated budgeting – no ISV required – with complete security and version control. Microsoft Dynamics 365 Business Central only supports Excel import/export.
- Strong Dimensions – Sage Intacct’s inherently structured dimensions give you greater control and visibility when it’s time to analyze data and run reports and perform in-depth analyses.
- Excellent Integration Options – As a new product, Microsoft Dynamics 365 Business Central’s integrations are still largely absent. By contrast, Sage Intacct has a thriving marketplace of partners, proven connectors, and integration options.
- The AICPA’s Preferred Solution – The experts have spoken: Sage Intacct is the AICPA’s only recommended choice for cloud accounting and finance.
- Compliance – Whether it’s HIPAA or ASC 606, Sage Intacct has you covered with regulatory compliance.
- An Established Solution – Built on the cloud in 1999, Sage Intacct has been helping thousands of customers with both horizontal and industry-specific solutions for more than 20 years. Conversely, the Business Central product was first released in 2018. Sage Intacct once again scored No. 1 on Gartner’s Critical Capabilities Report for the Lower Midsize Enterprises Use Case. Business Central was not even considered. It’s the same story with G2 Crowd’s Summer 2019 Grids for MidMarket ERP, MidMarket Accounting, and NFP Accounting. Sage Intacct is ranked as a “Leader,” and has been voted as the “undisputed leader in customer satisfaction” for many years running on all three grids. Business Central is not even listed.
A Better Partner for You
For years, Sage Intacct has worked with forward-thinking partners to bring award-winning cloud financial solutions to some of the world’s best-known and fastest-growing companies. If your reseller business is looking for a better partnership, Sage Intacct might have what you’re looking for:
- Rapid Onboarding – Our onboarding process includes regular meetings, online resources, and personal guidance from our team of new-partner specialists.
- Complete Certification and Training Programs – From basic certification and implementation courses to sales training, we help you launch your new practice quickly.
- Sales Engineering Assistance – Our sales engineers help you gain more product knowledge, make smart presentations, and demo the solution more effectively.
- Professional Services – We offer up to 24 hours of no-charge assistance to help you become self-sufficient.
- Marketing Assistance. Get organized with your partner scorecard, marketing checklist, campaign calendar, and marketing budget guides.
- Sage Intacct Community – Get access to everything Sage Intacct has to offer: Templates, tools, recordings, marketing collateral, logos, and how-to guides.
As you consider your options to migrate from Microsoft Dynamics GP, it may be the right time to look at Sage Intacct instead of Microsoft Dynamics 365 Business Central.
Chris Carter is Sage Intacct’s Director of Partner Enablement for new partners. Chris has over 25 years of experience in the IT industry, primarily focused on ERP and financial systems, and systems development. Chris has participated in the Microsoft, SAP and Oracle VAR channels over the course of his career and has also been head of IT at several organizations. Chris holds a Bachelor of Arts in Computer Information Systems from Washburn University, and a Juris Doctor degree from the University of Kansas School of Law.